Old November 14th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Nathan Young

Default Garmin 496 Training

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:45:28 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

In rec.aviation.ifr Sam Spade wrote:

My Garmin 195 has full IFR approaches. Garmin figured out later that
wasn't a good idea.

Uhhh, its been a while since I've looked at the IFR stuff on my 195, but I
don't think it has full approaches. The final approach course, yes, but
thats far from a 'full' approach.

I don't have another handheld GPS so I don't know what Garmin did on the
later models.

The 295 allows you to select the approach, and then fly 'vectors' to
intercept the final approach course. Or you can select direct to the
fix preceding the runway (for example the OM on an ILS), then the GPS
autosequences to the RW approach end as the final fix.

It does not have missed approach procedures.

I am not sure about vertical guidance. I have seen the 'glideslope'
needle on the GPS' HSI, but I don't know if it is actually tied to the
correct heights for each segment of an approach, or if it is providing
something more simplistic, like a 3deg glideslope.