Old April 25th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Turbo prop question

On 25 Apr, 11:53, Frank Olson
wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Chris W wrote in news:74gQj.67968$y05.19485
@newsfe22.lga:

I was channel surfing the other day and caught the tail end of some

show
about rich people and their planes. *Anyway the pilot of this one

single
engine turbo prop said there was no mechanical connection between the
prop and engine. *How can that be?

It's a free turbine. Most modern turboprops use that system. There's a
seperate turbine that runs the prop geabox. He's technically incorrect
since that turbine is part of the engine...

Bertie

Rich people. *More money than brains.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not in disagreement with Bertie, wouldn't dare, but it
"could be" electric drive, hydraulic drive.

These are used in other vehicles. Most cars in the US
use an automatic transmission that includes a
torque convertor for example.

I am sure that it is in this case a free turbine - gas drive -
that connects to a propellor - gas-gas drive.

http://www.gasgas.com/index.shtml

http://www.britannica.com/eb/topic-1...c-transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel-electric

http://www.fpweb.com/200/FPE/Hydraul...450/Hydraulics