Old April 25th 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Turbo prop question

Frank Olson wrote in

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Chris W wrote in news:74gQj.67968$y05.19485
@newsfe22.lga:

I was channel surfing the other day and caught the tail end of some

show
about rich people and their planes. Anyway the pilot of this one

single
engine turbo prop said there was no mechanical connection between

the
prop and engine. How can that be?

I didn't catch the name of the plane. but as I remember, there were

4
seats in the passenger area, and it was pretty roomy. The only

other
distinctive thing I can remember is it had a fairly large cargo door
with a power assist to close it because it was so far over head

when
it
was open.

It's a free turbine. Most modern turboprops use that system. There's

seperate turbine that runs the prop geabox. He's technically

incorrect
since that turbine is part of the engine...

Bertie

Rich people. More money than brains.

Well, what he maenas is the prop isn;t connected to the main drive of
the engine. You can actually stop the prop on a free turbine while the
engine is running and it will run just fine. He's not wrong but he's not
right if you know what I mean.

Bertie