Old July 15th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander

Default Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM

At 03:31 15 July 2008, Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:26=A0pm, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line

distan=
ce
and land at another airport? =A0

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the

traile=
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can

he
official witness this?

Will this count? =A0I don't have a gps data logger.

Hi Scott,

In short, you still need an Official Observer who oversees the
preflight and postflight activities. This includes things like
sealing the barograph (which you will need to use to prove continuity
of flight) and unsealing the same after the flight. The landing
witness can be anyone you can find, though the OO still needs to
certify the location/distance you specify based on the landing
witnesses.

In long, there's a bunch of other stuff to consider. Just as one for
instance, if you're gonna do a 50KM straight out flight, you don't
actually need to declare anything before the flight.

Suggest you read up on this stuff using the following materials:

FAQs on the SSA Website:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=3D5361749529&sh=
ow=3Dblog&id=3D936#silverdistance
FAI Sporting Code:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=3D...9529&show=3Db=
log&id=3D938

Of course, if you're still stuck, feel free to ask more questions.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)
SSA Badges and Records Committee

Can you define an "Official Observer" what do you have to do to become
an "Official Observer"???