Old July 15th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM

On Jul 15, 7:26*am, Scott Alexander wrote:
At 03:31 15 July 2008, Papa3 wrote:

On Jul 14, 10:26=A0pm, Scott Alexander *wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line

distan=
ce
and land at another airport? =A0

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the

traile=
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can

he
official witness this?

Will this count? =A0I don't have a gps data logger.

Hi Scott,

In short, you still need an Official Observer who oversees the
preflight *and postflight activities. * This includes things like
sealing the barograph (which you will need to use to prove continuity
of flight) and unsealing the same after the flight. * The landing
witness can be anyone you can find, though the OO still needs to
certify the location/distance you specify based on the landing
witnesses.

In long, there's a bunch of other stuff to consider. *Just as one for
instance, if you're gonna do a 50KM straight out flight, you don't
actually need to declare anything before the flight.

Suggest you read up on this stuff using the following materials:

FAQs on the SSA Website:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=3D5361749529&sh=
ow=3Dblog&id=3D936#silverdistance
FAI Sporting Code:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=3D...9529&show=3Db=
log&id=3D938

Of course, if you're still stuck, feel free to ask more questions.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)
SSA Badges and Records Committee

Can you define an "Official Observer" what do you have to do to become
an "Official Observer"???- Hide quoted text -

The qualifications for to be an Official Observer aren't prohibitive,
you just need to have earned a Silver Badge. A0s far as landing
witnesses, you either need ONE Official Observer, or TWO people who
aren't. I think most of this is explained if you follow the links
above.