Old July 15th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM

On Jul 15, 3:26*am, Scott Alexander wrote:
Can just anyone be a witness to the 50km if you do a straight line distance
and land at another airport? *

A field is fine as well....

For example, if my wingrunner who is a commercial pilot, drags the trailer
to a declared airport 50km away and then come to pick me up there, can he
official witness this?

Will this count? *I don't have a gps data logger.

In the UK you need to take a form with you (we have them printed out
in the shelves in our clubhouse) which need signing by two Joe
Bloggses or one Official Observer stating where you landed. There is
also no need to do a declaration before the flight if you are going to
land far enough away. However, you need to watch out for your height
lose, from where you are released to where you land. If it's over
1000m (I think that's the value) you have to fly further. So, if you
are on a hill-top site and land in the lowlands it can be an issue.