Old July 15th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Acheiving Silver Distance 50KM

On Jul 15, 10:00*am, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
You need to have a B badge or any FAI badge leg. *An airport manager can
also be the official observer.

Mike Schumann

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message

Can you define an "Official Observer" what do you have to do to become
an "Official Observer"???- Hide quoted text -

The qualifications for to be an Official Observer aren't prohibitive,
you just need to have earned a Silver Badge.

I thought it was a B badge.

*A0s far as landing
witnesses, you either need ONE Official Observer, or TWO people who
aren't. I think most of this is explained if you follow the links
above.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

You are correct, I was WRONG in my previous post. From the SSA
website:

Q:
Who can act as an Official Observer?
A:
In the United States, the SSA has established the following
requirements for a person to act as an Official Observer (OO) for any
FAI Badge or Record flight or SSA State Record or Awards flight:
Must hold at least an SSA B Badge or higher SSA Badge (C or Bronze
Badge), or a leg of an FAI Badge (e.g., Silver Altitude) or completed
FAI Silver, Gold or Diamond Badge.
Must have a working knowledge of the FAI Sporting Code as it pertains
to gliders (Section 3) including Annex C which is a guide to the
Code.
Must be an SSA Member.
An Airport Manager may also act as an Official Observer.