Old July 7th 03, 07:56 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:18:26 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

I don't know. I've never used a handheld. I've got a Kenwood 231 mounted like
an airplane radio in the stack and plumbed through the audio panel to the
headsets.

The antenna is a 19" piece of brazing rod on a connector mounted to the outboard
rib and inside the plastic wingtip. The rib and the rest of the wing form the
ground plane.

Range? I've had 100-150 mile contacts at 10K' like they were in the copilot's
seat. At greater ranges they drop off like an orange off a table. At that
altitude, power and sensitivity mean damned little; radio horizon is everything.

I get about the same with a 5 Watt hend held to 50 watt mobiles on
146.52.

I hook the belt clip on the door strap leaving the antenna sticking up
in the window. The I use one of the little ear pieces under my
aviation head set and a noise canceling lapel mike with PTT,

Works like a charm.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

snip