Old June 30th 05, 09:37 PM
Stefan

Chris Reed wrote:

And I should add that I was explaining the exercise from memory and may
have got the speeds wrong. 90 kts is definitely over the top for

Watch the limits: The LS 4 for example is limited to 77 knots on the winch.

In the case of a real cable break, climbing at 45 at 60 kt you *will*
take a second or two before you begin the pushover (and if you have

Two seconds? Never! If it takes you two seconds to react on the winch,
then you are not winch worthy. Hanging at the winch is not the place to
be dozing.

quick reactions pretend to be an out of practice, early solo pilot).

An out of practice, early solo pilot isn't sent solo at the winch.
Never. In our club, even the most experienced pilots are required to do
the first winch launch of the year with an instructor. (Club rule. And
yes, before you ask, for the instructors it's a catch 22 situation. It
works for us.)

reduced G. Mike is quite right that the controls don't feel quite right,
but you're concerned to make the turn as early as possible because
you're just at that awkward height where you can't get in ahead but are
low for an abbreviated circuit (say 450ft at my airfield) so you turn,

Nothing awkward with this height: There's plenty of time for a safe
downwind landing. In fact, you *must* take your time for that downwind
landing. Turn too early, and you'll find yourself with the (now in fact
awkward) problem of 200 ft height over the runway with possibly a tailwind.

Stefan