Old May 6th 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Rigger Information

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 12:45:05 AM UTC-7, Colin Roney wrote:
At 02:16 06 May 2020, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and

Soa=
ringXX (Cumulus).
Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
Does anyone have a used one for sale?
=20
Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.

I have the IMI rigger. It is well-constructed using quality materials and
d=
isassembles into a relatively small package for storage. The remote
control=
s are GREAT! No more back and forth adjustments as you are trying to get
th=
e wings aligned. Just be sure that you start with enough remaining travel
t=
o get things aligned (pretty much the same issue with any rigger). The
only=
issue I have had with it was that (somehow) the power switch was either
le=
ft on, or it got bumped and the battery was drained when I was ready to
use=
it. No battery - no rig. Furthermore, the battery was drained so badly
tha=
t my Hitec X2 would not charge it, so I had to attach my solar panel to
get=
some charge into the battery. Then the clouds blocked the sun! Lesson
lear=
ned: buy a 2nd battery. But the connections are soldered to the battery
ter=
minal, so I had to unsolder them and attach slip-on terminals. Other than
t=
hat I have no complaints.

The SoaringXX rigger looks very similar and is a little cheaper, but
haven'=
t seen it in person to assess its construction quality.

Tom

You need to make sure it is up to the job regarding electric power. I
bought one for a Lak 12 and it simply wasn`t man enough to lift the wing.
They all seem to be underpowered.

I fly an ASH31Mi, not exactly a feather weight. The IMI actuators are rated for 1500 N (337 lb), which should be more than adequate for your LAK 12. One thing that could reduce this is a bad or marginal battery. Try using a larger, temporary battery to see if this is the problem.
https://wingsandwheels.com/power-rigger.html

Tom