Old August 31st 18, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 11:22:54 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I believe the FAA rule is that there's no life limit on a parachute
unless it is unairworthy (by inspection) or the manufacturer specifies a
life limit at certification.Â* If your rigger won't inspect/pack your
chute due to age, find another rigger.Â* My previous round parachute was
42 years old when I removed it from service and bought a square rig.

On 8/30/2018 8:58 PM, JS wrote:
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 7:32:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
There are riggers packing 20+ year old parachutes. Shipping is cheap compared to a new parachute. Of course if you can afford going square it is smart.

Yet to see the 20-year rule on paper, other than something like "paraphernalia won't pack our own chutes beyond 20 years" which is their option but not a rule.

A friend just donated two 20-year-old chutes to our pilot mentoring group. I saw them opened, and the containers, harnesses and chutes looked well taken care of. Picked them up from inspection and repack a couple of days later.
This was a great donation, since the pilots learning XC do not have parachutes and the mentors fly XC with their own.
Jim

--
Dan, 5J

Thanks, Dan. Philosophically I agree with you, as I have jumped many old but airworthy rigs over the years.

All: I'm wondering if this is just a way for the parachute manufacturers to extract more money from us. I finally found the letter given to me by the skydiving center here in Miami. It is just an OPINION from National Parachute Industries, but it has enough weight to it that it has scared both my Miami rigger and my Pennsylvania rigger into refusing to repack it...so I need the name of a good rigger who will, if you know one.