Old November 25th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Burns[_2_]

Default Best Path to Race

At 16:06 23 November 2017, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 6:12:09 PM UTC+3, Jeff Morgan

wrote:
The Standard vs. Flapped decision is a bit harder. All of the Sages

say
1=
5 meter (faster/safer), I'm leaning Standard (simplicity). But it's not
lik=
e I have Standard tattooed on my shoulder, or something I am going

to lose
=
sleep over. I'll reconsider how much "simpler" it really is. Perhaps it's
l=
ike driving a manual transmission where you don't even think about it
after=
the first day of ownership.

Exactly. Gliders vary so look in your handbook, but I'd say it's

generally
=
something like this:

L: Landing. Short final, definitely got the field made
+2: geez this core is narrow! Rack it in there!
+1: normal thermalling and aerotow
0: cruising, from min sink up to 15 or 20 knots above best L/D,

noodling
ar=
ound looking for lift
-1: normal fast inter-thermal cruise
-2: flat out between 100ish knots and Vne

It's pretty easy to use it exactly like a gear change, depending on what
fl=
ight mode you're in. Generally you lead with the flap, adjusting it for
the=
speed you want to go, not the speed you are going now.