Old November 29th 17, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan

Default Best Path to Race

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:40:55 PM UTC-7, Andreas Maurer wrote:

I still wonder why flaps are demonized that often - they are in no way
hard to operate or need special skills (nor do they separate the boys
from the men).

On the contrary, one might add that the later the ship, the easier and
less prone to error the flaps are to handle.

Upon further reflection, my initial resistance to flaps doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. My other hobbies get me out into the back country of Arizona so I know that fields that appear to be flat are anything but smooth. Five knots lower approach speed is a lot less kinetic energy. A good thing (regardless of top end speed).

It has occurred to me that I should be looking at another factor more carefully: stability and ease of flying. My DG 100 was easy and fun. OTOH, the club's Standard Cirrus always needed attention and was much less fun to fly.

At work I have to learn whatever aircraft my employer uses. If I am going to spend $80K on a hobby, I don't want to feel like I am riding a razor blade (in terms of stability) every flight.

Certain Standard Class ships have great reputations this way. How about the top flapped ships, namely the Ventus 2 and ASW-27 for stability?