Old January 12th 21, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Runeckles

Default SiO2 (Ceramic wax) on sailplanes ?

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 2:26:47 AM UTC+8, wrote:
On Friday, 8 January 2021 at 17:20:57 UTC, wrote:
I used a meguiars wax spray Ceramic and am very happy with the results. Works differently then silicones.

Nobody is questioning the efficacy, either on cars or on gliders.
My warning was about difficulties with subsequent repairs on fibreglass or gelcoat (as in gliders).
But I could be wrong. You may feel it's worth the risk. Or you could take the advice of your local friendly glider repairer!
J.

There is a difference between Silica ( Silicon) and Silicone do not confuse the two.
I have been Using 3M Cleaner and Wax a marine product to protect my gliders for many years it works well and seems to protect the surface, I own a Ventus2 CXa that is now 10 years old and is showing no signs of the Dreaded Gellcoat failure.
3M also make a restorer and wax is which is similar but a bit more cutting compound for rejuvenation of flat gell coat.
Chris Runeckles
Western Australian Sailplane products