Old September 3rd 04, 04:31 AM
Scott D.

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:53:23 GMT, "Jon Woellhaf"
wrote:

I got my first GPS, a Magellan, in April of 1995. I thought it was an
absolute marvel - and it was, at the time. I got my second GPS, a Garmin GPS
III Pilot, in November of 1997, for about $650. It was a hundred times
better than the Magellan. I got my third GPS, a Garmin GPSMAP 295, in
February of 2000, for $1361. It was ten times better than the GPS III Pilot.
I got my forth GPS, a Garmin GPSmap 296, in August of 2004, for $1,721. It
is twice as good as the 295.

Well, I have to agree with Jon on the 296. The company I fly for got
on to have as a backup for the backup (actually it a toy for the boss
to play with while he is in the back). We have the CNX80 and the MX20
MFD as a primary and a kln94 as a backup on the plane, but the 296
does almost everything the CNX80/MX20 does except show the weather and
the traffic. It is being rumored that there may be a module coming
out to connect to the 296 for weather information, but that is not
confirmed, but that would be sweet if they actually do that. Other
than that, there is nothing but good to say about this box. Even the
battery life is wonderful which is really hard to believe with so much
color and brightness that the screen puts out and all the data that it
spits out.

Scott D.