Old September 17th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Time to earn license for professionals

I'm not a doctor, lawyer or CPA, but I was in a similar boat when I did my
PPL training. As an overworked IT guy, I was often working 60 hr. weeks and
had to provide on-call support when not working (i.e. no flying when on call).

I think it depends on the student. In my case, whenever I wasn't at work
or in the airplane, I was studying everything I could get my hands on. I
completed the PPL in 1.5 yrs. and 60 hrs. total time.

Once I had the ticket in my hand I made more of an effort to keep current,
but rental scheduling being what it is, I found that I only flew 60 hrs. the
first year. That wasn't enough to make me feel comfortable, so I bought my
own plane. Determined not to turn the plane into a ramp queen, I altered my
schedule to make flying more of a priority. Frankly, it was a good excuse
to quit working all the time. I doubt anyone has been on their deathbed
regretting that they didn't spend more time at the office.

For those that have overcrowded schedules, I think that some adjustment
would eventually be necessary in order to keep current. I've flown with
some busy professionals that only get 30 or so hrs of flying time per year
and their skills are in a perpetual state of rustiness.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)