Old January 8th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

On Thursday, 27 September 2012 00:06:31 UTC+2, wrote:
For me electrical sustainer in a glider is the perfect solution. It links in to the spirit of the sport, beter than a turbine. But the propellor on the nose feels slightly off.... Especially when you consider the bugwipergarages becoming standard on the topsailplanes. We are spending more and more on reducing drag. Then this minor addition feels going against the flow. Why not a small pilon whit this nice foldable propellor you have engineered? Or am I the only one who has this uncomfortable feeling?

How about FES in an EDF (electric ducted fan) configuration instead of pylon mounted FES? The EDF could be mounted in the fuselage with doors than open and close for the inlet and exhaust.
Would this make any sense or be simpler than a pylon mounted system?
Would a smaller prop size make it less efficient and impractical?
The one advantage would be the removal of most of the pitching issue associated with pylon mounted systems.

If I had the money for a self launcher or sustainer equipped glider it would be FES due to simplicity, reliability and safety.
From a safety perspective I presume a battery fire would tend to be more isolated in a crash whereas with combustible fuel you and the glider could become engulfed in flames within seconds as fuel is splashed around.
As battery and fuel cell technology advances, alternative energy storage upgrades could be a possibility without having to purchase another glider.
I don't like the smell of gasoline or jet fuel nor the complexity with things that operate at high temperatures and need to be maintained regularly. A brushless electric motor can literally run for years with a decent set of bearings. That means less hassle and maybe lower maintenance costs over the long run depending on the battery technology being used.

A sustainer option would suite me perfectly. I don't need to operate autonomously and a winch launch to 1500 feet is cheap ($4.70 USD) and preserves power for when I may need it.