Old May 16th 20, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Kiting and loss of control of the glider on tow happens more than is known. There are not accurate statistics or data tracked so most of the information is anecdotal or comes after a tragedy.

We are, as a community, extremely challenged by our aversion to checklist, cockpit and single pilot resource management as well as Aeronautical Decision Making. This can be traced partially to poor training, inconsistent procedures and lack of discipline. Attitudes matter.

Look at the shared risk pool, the high and climbing insurance costs, the accidents over the last years, the hazardous attitudes, diminished expectations as well as the sport in decline.

Same types of accidents at very high per-capita rates. Technology solutions may help but until the sport makes a concerted, coherent and consistent full court press the trends will continue. Not hard to predict the future here.

Regards, Tom