Old March 7th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default LiFePo Refit Part 23 AC

From the LAK? Or all gliders? And just lithium batteries, or all types of
batteries? And what is the concern? I've never heard that advice before.

Dan Marotta wrote on 3/7/2020 8:19 AM:
Oh, and Fidel recommends removing the tail battery before trailering the glider.
It should be apparent why.

On 3/7/2020 9:17 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
My LAK-17a had an SLA tail battery and it was needed as ballast. When I got a
LiFePO4 battery, I put it behind the seat and put a block of lead, which matched
the removed battery weight, in the tail.* I suppose I could have simply left the
dead battery there and saved some work but I didn't want to risk it leaking.

On 3/6/2020 5:47 PM, cdeerinck wrote:
While not necessarily applicable to your situation, FYI, DG prohibits the use
of any Lithium-Ion (even LiFePO4) in the tail compartment of its gliders, which
surprised me, and foiled my plans.* I suspect they have their reasons.

I don't know if that applies to an LS or not.

Best to check with them on what is allowed in your situation.