Old September 8th 03, 03:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Harper" wrote in message
news:1063025978.731057@sj-nntpcache-3...

Sure, but I think the point here (definitely a "don't try this at
home" but an interesting theoretical point) is that if upon
reaching MDA, still in IMC, you cancel IFR (very quickly!)
then you would still be legal.

It wouldn't be legal if the Class E floor is 700 AGL, as I believe it was in
the scenario provided here. The FARs still apply in Class G airspace,
including the one on minimum IFR altitudes. Ya gotta be at least 1000 feet
above the highest obstacle within 4 miles, and ya can't do that where
controlled airspace begins at 700 feet above the ground.