Old November 3rd 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Vortex Generators on 182 tow plane???

https://microaero.com/how-do-micro-vgs-work/

I've flown 2 C182's with and without micro generators.
I think they are well worth the money if your towing in challenging conditions.
The kit is about $1450.00 + installation which shouldn't be too much.
What George Haeh wrote is correct in my experience, the possible overheating problem towing at lower airspeeds. But if getting off the ground earlier and slower, safely, is the goal I think these things are well worth it. And pretty cheap. And they don't effect the cruise speed, the only down side is I think it makes washing and waxing the plane more difficult.

Many years ago here in Telluride we leased a C182 for a tow plane as ours was down for a new engine. Even with two oil coolers, it ran hot, we were always hitting the redline in CHT and Oil temp.
That said the C182 is great well balanced fairly idiot proof airplane, stock, as it tows OK and makes for a real XC airplane with long legs and a 160 MPH cruise speed. And you can pick up beaters cheap.
If I owned one and towed with it I'd put the VG generators on it in a heartbeat. Just makes it safer.