Old September 26th 03, 07:13 AM
tango4

Heresy! Devil out, be gone.

You are preaching to the 'hit it with a bigger sledgehammer' mob here lad.
If it aint got 5 litres of V8 petrol engine and 200kgs of tongue weight it
aint right!

:-)

Ian - 2300cc ( petrol I will admit ) Ford MPV and about 53 kgs tongue weight
a proven 100mph combination!

"CH" wrote in message
I don't know how long it does take for certain people
to recognise, that SUV's and 4-wheel drive cars

- are built for use in the outback and not for driving in towns
- have a high CG and are handling worse on windy roads than
any normal cars with good suspension (European/Japan cars)
- have big tires to suit off road driving, which are worse on
normal roads, worse than normal or low profile tires.
- often do not have independent side stable suspension on the
back which give them bad side stability (push the car sideways
on the rear bumper and let it go - if the hole car swings around
the vertical yaw axis then it does not suit towing)
- have bad aerodynamics and produce more turbulence behind,
which has again bad influence on the trailers stability.

Conclusions:
Quite any car is better for towing, in handling and safety than
a SUV.

I prefer to rent a 4-wheel drive for holiday in the outback,
own a small car with common rail turbo diesel engine
(2000 ccm, 110kW, 250Nm at 1750 rpm, and 4.5 to 6 liters
per 100km consumption).
Like that I can pay many tows with the saved money I do not
spend on petrol.
I can tow any trailer with brakes up to 1500kg stable with
100km/.
And on a windy road the SUV just disappear in the rear mirror.
But I cannot compete offroad with these monsters. I don't mind
because I only need offroad function perhaps 7 days a year.
How often do you need offroad capability?
Think of it when you buy the next car.
Chris

"chris" wrote in message
om...
Several people have had good luck towing a glider with a Subaru
Forester.

My Mazda MX-6 [much lower car] has Pirelli P4000 P205/55 R15 87H - it
is stable, and if you push sideways it does not sway side to side
anywhere near the degree that the Forester does. Steering response
and cornering are good.

Chris Ruf