Old June 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Ulrich Neumann

"." wrote in message . com...
I went for a ride in a glider many years ago and was immediately taken with
the whole experience. I have always wanted to fly and now have the time to
do it as I am finished with my skydiving career. Before I sell my rigs I
wanted to ask a question. Do any of you wear pilot rigs? Before I trade
some gear for a pilot rig....what is the reality of actually getting out of
a glider if you have a structural failure or something catastrophic? I am a
realist and can accept the fact there are inherent risks up there believe
me, but I don't want to buy a rig if it's a mute point. Do any of you wear
rigs? Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to Soaring!

No matter what you intend to fly in, get yourself a chute! These are
typically round, 26' dia. canopies, built for extremely rapid, manual
deployment. There are also rectangular rescue chutes available, but
according to the master rigger who repacks my chute, the average guy
could get into trouble with them since they require skill and
knowledge to handle them. Get something that is called 'Chair-chute'
or 'Thin-Pack'. Keep in mind that - as Bill put it - we intend to
bring the glider back and therefore we typically lie or sit on the
chute for a couple of hours. If you are qualified to repack your own
rig, change your mind-set, too: think "Comfort"! There is nothing more
annoying than getting the chute back repacked only to discover that
there is a lump pushing into your back.
Check out brand names like National, Softie or Strong, they have what
you are looking for.

Uli Neumann
Libelle 'GM'