Old September 14th 05, 06:41 PM
Eric Greenwell

Q. All the gliders below join the same thermal at
2000 feet. In which order will they reach 5000 feet.
Discuss.

LS7
Discus
ASW19
DG300
Libelle
ASW20
LS6

Were these chosen at random, or did you have a larger goal in mind
besides a discussion to while away the day? The thermal size will affect
the answer, in any case, as the difference in wing loadings will result
in significant differences in circling radii.

Even so, I can report that in contest conditions, the LS6, in the hands
of better pilots than myself, did outclimb my ASW 20 C.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA