Old December 12th 03, 04:29 AM
Richard Isakson

"Mike Borgelt" wrote ...
I think this is a good argument for abandoning the Antarctic bases.
After 50 years surely the human presence can be replaced by a few
automatic weather stations and satellite surveillance and we Aussies,
Kiwis and Americans get to save some taxes?

I think I'll write to my Member of Parliament urging the zeroing of
Antarctic funding. The damn place is of no economic benefit by
international agreement. Just a playground for a bunch of scientists
who probably don't want anyone else getting in on their sweet little
racket. Just like the NASA people. What we have had in both the
Antarctic and space is tourism with high entry barriers and
qualifications for the tourists.

Antartica is diplomatically sensitive for America. By international treaty
its considered an free and open continent. Without borders. For the free
use of all ... (for the most part run by and for America.) From time to
time the treaty comes up for renewal and if one member withdraws the
continent reverts to its origonal state. Lands areas claimed by several
countries. Ill defined borders and large areas claimed by more than one
state. America has no legal land claims in Antartica. Add to this the
story that certain areas have large regions where a black oily substance
oozes from the rocks and you have a recipe for chaos. And America can't
claim ANY of it.

Rich