Old November 9th 03, 04:14 PM
JJ Sinclair

Default Soaring magazine

For the first time in 20 years, I sat down and read Soaring magazine, cover to
cover. Good stuff in there, all interesting. The 2 accident write-ups were hard
hitting, factual information that just might prevent a similar occurance.

George Thelen described an ASW-20 that hit the trees, I believe the tragic
accident involving an LS-8 out of Truckee, last year, happened in just this
way. A little too slow, a little too low, a strong tail gust and you're in the
trees.

Pete williams told of the tragic results of a bright new competition pilot's
attempt to learn a new launch method. The only thing I would add to this
excellent write-up is this; A pilot that starts self-launching needs to add
several items to his check-list that were formally on the tow pilots
check-list:

1. Wind and runway slope? I have seen a self-launch into a 5 knot wind, but up
hill. Pilot almost didn't make it up the hill going east out of Air Sailing.

2. Fuel, do we have enough and is the correct tank selected?

3. Density altitude, do we have enough power for this situation?

4. Engine, Is it developing full power?

5. Abort, The old 200 feet / 180 turn back won't work with a dead engine and
prop drag. better circle the airport until you have 1000 feet or so.

A great big At-a-Boy to the editor and staff of Soaring magazine.
JJ Sinclair