Old August 28th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BillJ

Default IO-540 mystery

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "Jim Burns" said:

what ever else they recommend. These are Lycoming nitride, what cylinders
are on the club Lance?

I think they're nitride as well.

Do you normally turn the electric fuel pump on for maneuvers and leave it on
for touch and goes? Can you discern any relationship between the electric

Yes.

fuel pump operation and the engine dieing, such as it dieing shortly after
the pump is switched off while at low rpm?

No, in the case when I was flying, I'd touched down, was rolling out
without touching the throttle, and when I turned off on the taxiway it
just died.

When was the last time the fuel pressure was checked on the electric
pump?

About 6 hours ago.

Any sign of fuel leaking from the mechanical pump's vent/drain?

No.

Could your mechanical fuel pump be weak?

Don't think so. When we tested the fuel pressure this morning, it was
22psi on the engine pump, 23psi on the electric fuel pump, and almost no
variation at different throttle/mixture settings.

My IO-360 did this a while back. Needed the fuel servo overhauled.