Old August 7th 03, 04:20 PM
George Shirley

Pechs1 wrote:

George- My best friend is a retired USAF major and one of the lucky ones, he
was
selected for transport training instead of F-4's. He says being a truck
driver over Nam was much safer. BRBR

Pay yer money, take yer chances. I think a combat tour for a fleet aviator
would not be a bad thing...

But iffa the guy wanted to play it safe, maybe he should have only flown
civilian...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

He started his career as a meterologist on the Apollo shots but his boss
told him if wanted a career in the USAF he had better volunteer for
pilot training. He was slated for F-4 familiarization after completing
his training and was pulled for transport instead. Wasn't really his
choice but after he saw so many classmates go down he felt grateful for it.

He never had the desire to fly but did it and was rated a command pilot
with lots of hours when he retired in 1982 but never did go into
civilian aviation. I guess it's whatever makes you happy in the long run.

George