Old August 8th 03, 04:01 PM
George Shirley

Pechs1 wrote:

George- He started his career as a meterologist on the Apollo shots but his
boss
told him if wanted a career in the USAF he had better volunteer for
pilot training. He was slated for F-4 familiarization after completing
his training and was pulled for transport instead. Wasn't really his
choice but after he saw so many classmates go down he felt grateful for it.

BRBR

I guess...But I viewed being a fleet tactical guy as a real reward for my
flying abilities..And this was during the end of VietNam...There were so many
guys I knew that 'didn't make the cut' and ended up flying trash haulers
instead...

There were USN guys that pulled strings to be in right coast squadrons to
ensure they wouldn't be put into harm's way...as if they were in the USN for
someother reason, I guess...

I don get it..Being in the military you have only two jobs...to kill people and
break things...all else is rubbish...

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

I think the Air Force guys view it more as a job than we sailors do or
did. I went in the Navy at 17 to see the world and fight if I had to,
this was 1957 and all we were fighting was the Evil Empire and there
wasn't a lot of shooting going on. My first fleet assignment was at VR-1
and I loved flying crew. Other guys would bitch about having to go on a
long flight and I volunteered for them. Why did they go in the Navy if
they didn't want to visit strange places, meet strange people, and
maybe, just maybe, get a chance to kill them? BSEG

They all just wanted to finish their tour and get the hell out, I
intended to make a career of it. Unfortunately the lady I fell in love
with and ultimately married was raised next door to Patuxent River NAS
and didn't want to be a sailor's wife. After 43 years together I have to
figure she was right about it.

My friend has never mentioned it but I think circumstances forced an Air
Force career, married in 1960, got out of college in 1962, got his ROTC
commission and started making babies. He seems much happier as a retired
civilian. Military life is what you make of it AFAIK.

George