Old November 17th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

Default Garmin 496 Training

Jay, I'm still trying to figure out where you'd put a bigger screen in
Atlas? I find there isn't enough clearance between my lap and the yoke
on my Six to put it on my lap. Anywhere else obstructs instruments or
windows.

I flew for years with the AvMap -- easily twice the screen size of the
496 -- on my yoke. Here's a picture of it, installed:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U54D246D6 (The old Lowrance Airmap 300,
pictured on the co-pilot's yoke, is long gone, too...)

The AvMap DID block some of the lesser instruments. I would have to
look around it a bit to see two of the four fuel gauges, and the tach.
But the "sacred six" were all unobstructed -- and flying behind that
huge color screen was just a joy. The 496's screen is very
restrictive in what it can show, by comparison.

Size matters.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA