Old April 27th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default NY Times Story on Pilot Population Decline

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Marco Leon writes:

Yes, and yes. While I don't think that the reasons you mentioned are
the primary reasons, I do think they play a part. Salaries are indeed
higher but so are the housing prices. A "starter" house in Long
Island, NY for example is around $450K. Paying for that mortgage
while bringing up a family leaves little room to blow $7K on a year's
worth of flight training.

Forty years ago, a "starter" house might cost 1.5 times the annual
salary of a person in the middle class. Now it may cost ten times the
annual salary of such a person (although the middle class is
disappearing).

Good thing you live in a dumpster then huh?

bertei