Old February 13th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default New Butterfly Vario

I simply do not appreciate insults and complete disregard and dismissive tone to an important topic to many within the SSA.

Being the rules chair is an important responsibility (much bigger than oneself), not a ticket to insult people who disagree. I continue to question the logic the rules chair & committee on this particular rule. I just sat thru a couple big safety presentations in Reno. Its as if the rules committee is on a different planet when it comes to evaluating the sanity of this rule.

Shouldn't we be doing everything possible to make our sport safer, especially in contests? In this case we, in the name of pure competitive insanity, remove the only instrument that can help an innocent pilot maintain control (not thermaling, but level flight) if IMC occurs.

We do fly contests for fun, do we not? Think about that for a second everyone.

As an SSA member and a new contest pilot, many like me think this is a very valid argument for safety. It is frankly shocking the see how the rules committee justifies its logic and deals out personal insults. Its would be equally shocking if a rule for no parachutes in contests was adopted to reduce the chance of dangerous flying.

Many have read but avoided posting on this message board because of the way those who have argued for the safety aspect of a AH are being attacked. I have received numerous emails in support of the AH being allowed from folks all over the country. I think we should get this up for a vote to the SSA membership or contest ranked pilots. I plan on pushing for that.

An equal number a little upset about how our rules chair called the safety argument "crap" and refereed to my response as "meds are kicking in." This would be funny in grade school, but not in a board discussion that has to do with honest peoples lives. I do not appreciate it.

To review, I am not concerned about people who choose to cheat and cloud fly. They are not a part of this discussion in my opinion. Just as people who would try to falsify their ICG files are not a concern. I am concerned about honest nice people who are flying competitions and might one day make a mistake. These guys and gals would like to have an instrument to refer too, if they so choose.

I would not have come back to the thread if not for emails pointing out the insulting response to me. I would think that a respectful, professional approach would be better. A little late for that unfortunately.

Here is a hint: Try being professional, respectful and open to new opinions and "the chance" that you might be wrong. I know this may be very, very hard for some of us...but I am confident you can still learn new tricks.