Old August 25th 14, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default US Rules change needed for devaluation of contest day

On Monday, 25 August 2014 13:17:39 UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Monday, August 25, 2014 5:02:51 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:

In summary I would like to look at tweaking the scoring formula to devalue a day like the ones above and I support using the WDSA rule and would support a regional event that used it.

Nick Kennedy

I think we would welcome concrete proposals of exactly how you'd change -- proposals that showed understanding the current rules and the many situations they were evolved to cope with. "Competitor" got defined up from anyone taking a tow, after a similar string of unhappy results, which we don't want to go back to.

For the moment, my view is that we should include anyone who lands out before the start as "competitor." Otherwise, I can't think of a tweak (other than worst day score adjustment) that gives whatever the desired outcome is here, without screwing up the other days for which this rule was designed.

A big review and simplification of devaluation is in order, but nothing on my mind in that regard will help here. Remember in your proposals how much everyone wants simplicity and transparency, and how little anyone understands the current rules!

John Cochrane

This would mean allow devaluation after 20% non completion.

Maximum Speed Points:

MSP = STF * (1250 * SCR) (but not greater than STF * 1000)

Scored completion ratio:

SCR = (Number of Finishers) / (Number of contestants)

Where a contestant is defined as any pilot that took a tow and turns in a valid flight log.

Requiring pilots to land out to be a contestant is too high of a bar. Why would we require them to land out if they are down to 1000 feet and have a good airport in reach? Often in the west the airport may be the only safe place to land if they can not get up to several thousand feet.

Tim

Current definition for a contestant is; A Contestant is a regular entrant whose Scored Distance (Rule 11.2.3) is greater than zero.