Old April 15th 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default Flight review required?

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 6:43:04 PM UTC-6, tomcatvf51 wrote:
Your lapsed commercial pilot does not need a Flight Review in a ASEL.
The Beard letter applies to a pilot attempting to use the student pilot
flight review exemption to not do a Flight Review in another aircraft he
or she is rated to fly as a PIC.

The Beard letter also says that you do not need a student pilot
certificate once you have a rating in another aircraft. Training and an
endorsement is required before solo.

A person needs at least an appropriate rating to log PIC time.

--
tomcatvf51

I haven't read the Beard letter,
However the understand/interpretation has always been that holding a certificate at any level is the same a holding any lessor certificate.

ie. if you have a commercial certificate you can use it to exercise the privileges of a Private, Recreational, Sport or Student Certificate.

Again without having read the interpretation, it may be entirely possible that one can not utilize 61.31(d) without a current flight review. However I see no reason why one could not utilize their Student Pilot Privileges that are included with their commercial certificate. It just means the instructor will have to sign them off as if they were a new student, instead of using solo privileges under 61.31(d)

just my 2 cents worth. if worth that much.

Brian