Old June 27th 17, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default New House Thermal

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 02:11:21 -0700, Tango Whisky wrote:

Well, physics doesn't seem to be part of your world. Today's
photovoltaic solar panels run at an efficiency of about 20%. The
definition of efficiency is electric power produced, divided by incident
solar power. These 20% of the incident solar power are not available for
heating.

Indeed. There's a smallish solar panel farm installed across the road
from where I fly. I haven't noticed any thermals (or Cu forming) above
it.

OTOH many years ago I got a 600 ft climb late in a cloudy, still, summer
afternoon from a stationary 100m diameter patch of sunlight on an
otherwise shaded ploughed field. That was in an SZD Junior.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK