Old July 9th 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default AS 33

At 16:18 09 July 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 11:26:25 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 07/07/2018 00:59, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
=20
Schleicher and Schempp have a long history of making great

gliders.
Jo=
nkers has started that tradition too, however they have only produced

han=
dful of gliders compared to the other two listed.
=20
The Jonkers started out with the aim of building a world class 18m

ship.=
=20
In the upcoming world championships 17 out of 46 in the 18m class

are=20
Jonkers so I guess they have achieved that.
=20
I would have thought that competing with a 21m glider against

28m=20
gliders would be like taking a knife to gun fight. But 17 out of 32=20
entries in open class are JS1c's. That's over 50% of the entries!

They=20
have changed the nature of open class.
=20
Then there are 5 out of 37 JS3's in the just started 15m

championship.=20
They were placed 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 12th yesterday.
=20
Of course there are no Jonkers gliders in the club class! Most of

the=20
club class fleet were built when the Jonker brothers were still at

school=
..
=20
What is surprising about their achievement, is not that they

have=20
designed and built world competitive gliders, not that they are=20
competitive in 3 different classes. But the speed with which they

have=20
managed to progress from drawing board (computer) to prototype

to=20
production and certification.

Jonkers have saved the open class. Too bad the Quintus didn't make it

f=
ull production, I understand it handles MUCH better than a JS-c-21.
Hoping=
SH makes a Nimbus 5 or Quintus 2 or AS makes a follow on to their

amazing
=
ASW-22. I loved the open class, in the air, not so much on the ground.

You could have bought an Antares 23......