Old August 30th 16, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Buying a glider, advice on type and prices

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 4:42:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Aerodynamics isn't the issue - gelcoat failure can progress until it's a structural issue.

There are many early Cirrus & Libelle (amongst others) from the early / mid 70s that still flying with original gelcoat without any signs of failure..

Nick.

Different gelcoats than today's, due to environmental concerns for the workers. Agree older gel held up better, unless exposed to a lot of temperature swings (wave flights without temperature stops every 5000'). Newer std class - which is what is being discussed here - have gelcoat issues. PU paint is preferable, in my opinion. I can also think of several original Cirrus which required full refinishes in their lives.