Old March 14th 20, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default L 33 Solo Gliders

On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 12:49:19 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Jonathan St. Cloud wrote on 3/14/2020 12:46 PM:
On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 12:30:06 PM UTC-7, Dave Walsh wrote:
At 15:33 14 March 2020, Nick Kennedy wrote:

.
.
.
Looking for a 1st ship for my 14 yr old son.

Never flown one but why would you buy a glider that readily spins
at any price? It's not like there are no alternatives.

SGS-2-32, North American T-6, both spin readily and are great birds!

For your 14 year old son?

Nick,
Our club has a couple and I've flown them on occasion. I'm not a big guy, but I found them very tight through the shoulders. They can be tied out, but our experience is that they aren't very rugged and accumulate lots of rash in a club environment. They particularly don't like tail first landings.

For your 14yo son, you might consider an older standard Astir or a Jantar. They're built like tanks (particularly the Jantar). I've flew an Astir as a younger pilot and found it to have decent performance and to handle reliably. Not as harmonious as an LS-3, but very honest.

Cheers,
Craig
JN