Old February 25th 05, 05:14 AM
nobody

"...the additional capability over and above a non-certified moving map is
not that great..."

That's just it. Without certification, you can't file /G, and you can't use
GPS as the primary navigation instrument. In my case, I can't legally use
the speed/dist functions for the DME portion of the approach either. I'm in
the same place with a much cheaper (portable) VFR GPS.

Ed

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
nobody wrote:
I guess I've been living under a rock. I wanted to update the VFR GPS in
the panel to an IFR model. I started getting quotes on recon GNC 300XLs.
The units themselves were about 2,500-3,000. I was shocked to find out
that I had to install an annunciator, a new indicator and approx 30 hrs
labor bringing the total cost to around 8,000. I checked several shops
and got the same story. Is it typical to spend 25% of the value of the
aircraft on just the IFR GPS? If I installed a 530, the receiver and
install would probably cost close to 80% of the value of the aircraft.

Your absolute expense dollars sound about right. The percentage of the
value of the aircraft will, of course, depend on the value of the
aircraft.

IMO, and as other have also pointed out here, the additional capability
over and above a non-certified moving map is not that great, either,
unless you frequently fly to a runway that's served only by a GPS
approach. Most of the benefit of certified GPS can be had without the
certification.