Old December 28th 04, 10:03 PM
Denny

Well, it's Tuesday... Steve called back and says the carb is on, the
engine has been extensively ground run, the cowl is on, and the
airplane is ready for flight testing... I'm trapped here at the office
and there is freezing rain outside and more predicted for the night...
Maybe I'll be able to test fly it tomorrow, and maybe I won't...

The bottom line is that the guy at Kelly Aerospace did not replace my
remanufactured carburetor as promised, but 'overhauled' and returned
the carburetor to me... He stated to Steve that he personally stood
there and watched the work being done (the point of this will be clear
in a minute)... Anyway, Steve disassembled the
overhauled-remanufactured carb at the direction of Kelly Aerospace and
found that the the pivot pin for the float was missing the cotter key
that keeps the pin from sliding out and jamming the float... He put in
a new cotter pin, verified that the float height is correct set, (it
was) and the bench repaired carb now works perfectly...

When Steve called Kelly Aerospace back with the news, the guy's comment
was, "That's interesting." When Steve called me I asked him if the
guy's seeing-eye dog needed glasses... Now the "interesting" part will
come when Steve and I discuss the bill... It seems to me that Kelly
Aerospace has some responsibility for the labor to remove the carb, the
shipping costs, the labor to reinstall it, the labor to remove it a
second time, the bench time to fix it, and the labor to reinstall it a
second time... Once I am presented with Steve's bill I will be calling
Kelly Aerospace to enquire as to how they see their responsibility
here...

Denny