Old January 13th 05, 10:50 PM
Robert M. Gary

jsmith wrote:
With the increasing popularity and availability of rental and

training
aircraft equipped with "glass" panels, are we heading toward limited

or
type like instrument ratings?

For example, will an pilot trained from the onset in an aircraft
equipped with a Garmin G-1000 panel from private through instrument
ratings be restricted to only those airplanes with Garmin panels?
Without the training in how to interpret the steam gauges, could they
safely fly in a traditional paneled airplane in heavy IFR?
How about the pilot trained in "traditional" panel airplanes with

"steam gauges"?
Will they require an endorsement before being permitted to rent or

fly
"glass panel" aircraft in instrument conditions?

I think you're probably more likely to see vendors provide more similar
interfaces, as with radios. FBOs are not going to want to buy radios
that require type ratings for their instructors.