Old February 12th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default CGS Hawk Rumor Retraction - and a public apology

Mr. Slusarczyk,

When you indicated that you had not heard of this alleged incident
I had a horrible feeling I had done something very wrong.

I checked the local news paper for accidents at the field in question
and turned up nada.

So I went back out to the field this afternoon and had a short
conversation with the fellow who had told me about this.
Kind of a very polite version of WTF, over?

We quickly got to the heart of it, and I got a different read on the story.
No, it didn't happen HERE, and this particular aircraft was not involved.

So I took the (well known) name he gave me and did a quick google search
(something I had neglected to do before relating this story to this group).

Unfortunately, even that turned up negative. SAM died of cancer.

I widened the search, adding the term "ultralight" and finally found something
that may be related. "John", as it turns out.

The story I found on NWA news had no details about the cause of the accident -
only that an investigation was underway - and I found no follow up that shed
any additional light to the subject.

I fear I may have propagated an unfounded rumor as an alleged fact.

My only feeble defense is that the level of detail described to me gave me
the impression that I was hearing a first hand account from an eye witness.
I'm convinced this fellow did not intentionally misled me.
But I should have done my homework before bringing it up in public.

Sir, please, if you can, accept my sincere apology for any negative publicity
or embarrassment that I may have caused you by posting what may turn out to be
misleading information.

It was certainly not my intention to discredit you or your machine.

Sincerely,

Richard Lamb