Old August 12th 03, 01:55 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Tom Seim" wrote in message
om...
If I put my Cirrus in its trailer, and can't lift the hitch onto the
ball with one hand I know I have packed it wrong. OK - it is a light
combination with a total of 840Kg (around 1900lb) but not that different
from the one you tow. Stability is fine up to 65Mph behind my Renault
Scenic (2l mini-mpv) with a tongue weight of 40-50Kg.

This works out to 4.7-6% tongue weight, clearly much less than the
recommended 10-15%. Don't take my word for it: there are plenty of RV
Trailer magazines and web sites that deal with this. I have tried a
lighter tongue weight and found the stability acceptable to only 60-65
mph.

The 10%-15% tongue weight is really for house trailers (and such) with large
weights and large side area. Our glider trailers just do not need that much
tongue weight. If you need more that 75 pounds on the tongue, you most
likely have some other problem. Go to a big contest and lift the tongue of
30 - 40 trailers.

Duane