Old December 6th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Parachute 20 year limit

On Dec 5, 5:57*pm, "HL Falbaum" wrote:

My question thus is---what do y'all think if you have to jump, partially
incapacitated, but able to get out and pull the ripcord.

Hartley Falbaum
Georgia, USA

One thing that the Europeans have on us is that many (some? all?) use
static rip cords which are attached to the airplane. My glider (DG)
has a hole near the seat back marked with a red stripe for just that
purpose. It took me a while to figure out what it was for as no one
in the US seems to use this method. Thus if you are incapacitated and
do manage to exit the aircraft, the chute opens automatically.
However, don't exit the glider on the ground and just walk away!!
POP. OOPS.

I have been told that in the UK everyone wears a chute no matter the
craft. True? Other countries?

Thanks, John