Old December 18th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL - JANUARY 2009 ISSUE

Yes, JJ, we're figuring on using EPS squeeze-out dams in a couple of
key areas. In addition to the wrecks I picked over at your place, I've
also reviewed wing sections such as the one you have at hand, and Brad
has cut apart ASW-20 tail surfaces to see what's inside.

I usually make bonding paste filler out of 1/4 or less cabocil, and
3/4 or more flox. Cabocil makes a nice thixotropic (non-runny) bonding
paste, and that's good for preventing the paste from running out
wicking away, but I think it tends to make for a weaker joint than
flox.

The exception is for captured placements where I'm potting a pin or
bushing into a bore or other feature, and all I need the cabocil for
is bearing strength. Then I'll go as strong as 50/50 cabocil and flox.

You oughta drive up for the next Akaflieg and see the craziness. I
think you'd be amused.

Thanks, Bob K.