Old June 26th 17, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default New House Thermal

Sorry to disappoint, but I have a glider in South Africa and fly regularly over the Letsatsi solar park which is a 247 acre solar farm north of Bloemfontein SA (on the Dealsville Road). It was built 3 years ago but really doesn't contribute much to thermal activity in the area.

What I have found does work (both in SA and around the world) are the big metal grain silos found on most large farms which (especially when full) get very hot and seem to consistently focus thermals either right over or just downwind of them. That's where I want to be when I am low and scratching.

ROY