Old July 18th 04, 03:58 AM
Tom Serkowski

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
I think it was more substantial than "slightly": at least 20-30 pounds
is what I remember. The B model had more ballast allowed in the 15 meter
configuration, the wings were noticeably stiffer, but it was the favored
model for ridge running at high speeds.

The wings on my '20B weighed a bit over 170 lb each. This is about
the same as each of the 18m wings of my ASH-26E! A one-man rig is an
excellent investment for both.

I loved the '20B and at a max AUW of 525kg (1157 lb) it ran great. I
installed custom dump valves and all the water would be gone in 90
seconds. I could start dumping on downwind leg and be almost empty at
touchdown.

The '26E flies just as nicely, though the roll rate is a bit slower.
And with the extra 200 lbs, the landing is a bit more challenging.
When it comes to landing in a small, rough field, very few other
silplanes give as much confidence as the ASW-20 B/C with the flaps,
spoilers, and 5.00x5.00 wheel with disc brake and shock absorber.

Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E and formerly ASW-20B (5Z)