Old March 13th 19, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Glider preparation for a competition

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 9:24:20 AM UTC-7, Brian wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 4:08:06 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm flying in my first gliding competition this year. I've flown a reasonable number of XC tasks over the last couple of years and thought it would be fun to enter a small local competition.

My glider is in pretty good condition and I'll be polishing it before the competition, but what other tips do people have for preparing a glider to try and get an edge in competition?

Thanks

Ash

Good Ground handling equipment is import also. Do you have a good tail Dolly, tow bar and wing wheel. It can be a pain as well as fatigue you before the launch if you have to push your glider a mile when they have to change the runways. especially when everyone else is being towed down to the launch area while you are stuck pushing with a wing runner because you don't have the equipment to tow your glider.

A Good tie down system is important for your glider and trailer, Most leave their glider tied down during the contest, but some assemble daily.

Since you'll be flying at a busy airport, put your contest ID on all ground handling equipment.
Jim