Old January 8th 05, 06:31 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

I have noticed them get weaker as ships enter ... i.e. when we just
find a weak thermal to save our butts and the gaggle then comes over
and squashes it. :-)

Bob Salvo wrote:
Hi Ken,

I think it's more like 14 HP, when a sink rate of 2 fps is included.

BTW, have you noticed when a large gaggle leaves the thermal, the

thermal
gets stronger?

Bob

"Ken Kochanski (KK)" wrote in message
oups.com...
One horsepower is defined as lifting 550 pounds one foot in one

second.

So, if were climbing at an average of 300 FPM (5 fps)in a two place
ship weighing 1100 pounds ... can we say we are
extracting/consuming/obtaining 10 HP from the thermal ...

KK