Old August 13th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Default Some questions....

Stache wrote:
wrote:
--Why should you have charts on board? And can you fly without them?
--What would you do if you come to the end of your clearance limit, and
you are unable to contact ATC? (ATC is still online, just not answering
-you-)

One reason to have charts on board is the requirement in part 91.103
pre-flight planning and becoming knowlegable with all the available
information. I may be wrong, but if you get ramp checked and do not
have the required charts I beleive you could be in violation of part
91. This would ruin your whole day.

Stache

No you don't need a chart. "Become familiar" does not equate to "carry
a chart" any more than "carry a chart" equates to "becoming familiar".

Take the ramp check scenario. If you had just landed, the inspector
could ask "did you have all the relavent information?". The answer
would be "of course, otherwise I could not completed the flight without
violating any regulations". End of story.

Take another scenario. The inspector asks "you flew threw a TFR. Did
you have all the relevant information for the flight?". Waving a valid
chart is not going to help you here.

Charts are for your flight planning and navigational purposes. The FAA
does not care about it.